We’re mindful that our everyday choices and actions affect the environment, and so the alliance is taking steps to ensure we reduce our impact on Earth. As part of our sustainable way of working, the team is thinking through the environmental, cultural, social and economic effects before engaging a new supplier or service provider.
Our sustainability focus areas are below.
You may like to read our Sustainability Strategy or Sustainable Procurement Policy.
Infrastructure Sustainability Council
The project team is using the Infrastructure Sustainability Council’s tool to help ensure the environment will be protected during construction. We are supporting local businesses and inspiring healthy communities in south and east Auckland by:
- Being a good neighbour, and supporting the community during disruption impacts and change
- Using resources and materials efficiently
- Encouraging the use of walking, cycling and public transport
- Protecting and enhancing the natural environment, and using innovative urban design so that people feel connected to the local area
- Helping the community to thrive by providing employment and training opportunities
- Supporting the local economy by providing opportunities for local businesses
- Deconstructing (disassembly and reuse or relocation of) buildings that require removal, diverting waste from landfill.
The alliance understands that construction of the Eastern Busway will have an impact on the community of East Auckland. We are working closely with Auckland Council, AT staff, Elected Representatives, Howick Local Board, mana whenua, ministerial departments, diverse cultural and interest groups, business and residents' associations, places of worship, schools and media to ensure the construction of the project is carried out with the least possible disruption.
We are keen to ensure that residents and businesses continue to thrive while the project is being built, and that the community can look forward to experiencing the benefits of the busway when it is finished.